Sunday, January 10, 2021

Aspen Bark Extract Is More Than Just A Natural Preservative

Aspen Tree

Recently I came across this natural preservative called Aspen bark extract


As I was learning how to make a natural alternative to the synthetic hyaluronic acid serum "that is one of the most popular items" to hit the beauty market in recent years, I stumbled across a recipe where aspen bark is used as a preservative.

 The hyaluronic acid that we naturally produce can be replicated in a lab and does work quite effectively, depending on where you source the powder, but it's not a natural substance you find from organic botanicals.

I was really interested in finding out if there is a more natural alternative out there because just settling for the synthetic kind wasn't sitting quite right with me. 

I was so intrigued and excited when I found an article about this mushroom that grows in Asia called Tremella. It explains how this jelly flower looking fungus can hold up to 500 X's more of its weight in water than the synthetic HA. And it's 100% natural! This was like music to my ears, as cliche as that sounds. 

But for me, it's always exciting to discover new natural skincare sources, especially because the natural world seems neverending and branches off in so many unique directions, all for us to utilize in so many adventurous and healthy ways.


Tremella Fungus 

This fantastic mushroom is literally a miraculous gift to us humans, not just for beauty-enhancing but for our inner health as well. I of course had to learn how to make a Tremella serum and find out where I can source it from. During this time, I stumbled upon aspen bark extract and how it's a completely natural and effective preservative for natural and organic skincare products. So this is what I chose to use in my new Tremella serum and I'm sure I'll be using it in future blends.

I'm really not happy unless the product I make is truly natural and the ingredients come from a reputable source. And using a good natural preservative in any water-based concoction is an absolute must. 


There are many commercial skincare products out there claiming to be natural and effective, but have you ever taken a look at what's used to preserve them? Most have chemical ingredients that are linked to serious health problems. 

The Aspen tree or Trembling Aspen ( Latin Populous Tremuloides= Poplar trembling ) is common to northern and western North America. The bark has been used medicinally for centuries by American Natives. The leaf of the tree and the bark are used to make medicine to treat burns, reduce fevers, heal and calm inflammatory pain. The bark is rich in an aspirin-like substance. Without hurting the tree this substance is extracted with ease.

The compounds from this substance are what's used as a natural preservative system, it's the same compounds the tree uses as a natural defence from invading mould, yeast and parasites. In skincare formulations, aspen bark effectively inhibits the growth of e coli, S aureus, subtilis, and P aeruginosa.

Aspen bark not only protects, but it also carries properties that will condition the skin and give it a soothing soft and supple feeling.

There is so much to learn about the aspen species that is actually quite amazing. One fun fact is they say that the aspen wood was used for Christs' cross and that's why the leaves tremble with the slightest wind, hence its name trembling.

Aspen bark also has internal benefits and can be made into a tea that treats numerous ailments. It will soothe tummy discomfort and help with digestion, it can also help with bladder inflammation and urinary tract infections.

So, knowing all of what this beautiful tree can do and in fact, does much more than what I mention here. I feel pretty confident using aspen bark extract in my formulations to extend the shelf life and protect against contamination.

If you're looking for a skincare product that hydrates and gives you a brighter, more supple and beautiful complexion I highly recommend this new Tremella serum. It's worth trying! 

Because I just listed this new item in my shop yesterday, something I haven't mentioned yet is that I do have samples, so you can try them before you buy them. 

It can be hard to find the right products for your skin especially if you have sensitivities. The wonderful thing about nature's botanicals is that it actually does what it says it does without the chemicals.


No comments:

Post a Comment